Pyeongchang Winter Olympics officials confirmed that a cyber attack had occurred during Friday’s opening ceremonies.
The hack affected internet and television services, but apparently didn’t impact any critical operations.
Pyeongchang organizing committee spokesman Sung Baik-you told reporters that all issues had been resolved by Saturday morning and refused to speculate on the source of the attack. “We know the cause of the problem but that kind of issues occurs frequently during the Games. We decided with the IOC we are not going to reveal the source [of the attack],” he said.
However, some are pointing to Russia as the source of the attacks. Cyber security researchers said last month they had found evidence that Russia-based hackers may be planning attacks in retaliation for Russia’s exclusion from the Pyeongchang Games.